Friday, June 5, 2009

Little Beginnings



I started quilting 9 yrs ago by making small quilts or doll quilts for my daughter's dolls. I wasn't very good, but I kept at it because it made me (and Caitlin) feel sooo good to create something small and still be able to call it a quilt. One night before bed we were looking at the infamous American Girl Doll catalog and she asked me, "Why isn't there a quilt for MY doll?" I told her I'd make one for her doll (Felicity) and began a small quilt like those from the 19th century using reproduction fabrics (not the one pictured here). I thought it would be fun to make one for each of the dolls in different styles and began making kits and designing patterns to sell at craft shows. "American Doll Quilts" was born when I accidentally stumbled upon Martingale's website in 2003 and saw that they were accepting submissions for quilting books. Don't know why, but I took the leap. The rest, as they say, is history.

3 comments:

susan said...

such a sweet story, and i love knowing how your books have come about. your daughter is adorable! i cant wait until my granddaughter is a bit older so we can start going to ag place!! your blog looks great!

libbyquilter said...

thrilled to see that you have a blogsite and already love it~!

i've a passion for small and doll quilts and have all of your beautiful books so i know that this is going to be a fun site to visit regularly~!!!~

i've been thinking that i need to seriously document my own collection of doll quilts on my blog but have yet to do it . . . maybe you're just the shot in the arm i need to get me rolling on that endeavor~!~

looking forward to following along with you on your blog journey.

:)
libbyQ

Kathleen Tracy said...

Thanks Libby, maybe we should start a blog for doll quilts only . . . wouldn't that be fun?

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails