Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Orange Peels


Everywhere I look these days I see Orange Peel quilts. They're sometimes also referred to as Melon Peels, Lemon Peels, Pumpkin Seeds. Some are made with curved piecing, some applique. The pattern has been around a long time but when I made mine they weren't really very popular at all. If you did see any they were almost always two-color quilts. It's nice to see so many quilters making them now and incorporating them into different designs.

Back when I was writing Remembering Adelia and a few years before I began my Dear Jane quilt, I noticed that Jane Stickle had used a lot of peels in her famous quilt. Since Adelia also lived and sewed during the Civil War, I decided to include orange peels in the book and weave this quilt into Adelia's story. It was fun poking through my reproduction scraps, making the peels and then hand appliqueing them over that summer. I made them a few at a time in between working on the other quilts and when I had made enough blocks I put them together into my quilt. 


A blue and white table runner I made with a peel design. 



Yesterday, I taught an Orange Peel workshop to a bunch of sweet ladies from the Battle Creek, Michigan, area. I had quite a lot of fun and I think they did too. I had the most fun walking around and looking at all the different fabrics everyone was using for their peels.





Natalie, making some "Orange" peels




Sally, looking like the lady who lived in the shoe -  she had so many gorgeous peels she didn't know what to do.





Nancy used a variety of pretty shirtings for her backgrounds.




It's always an awful lot of fun to make a quilt in a group with like-minded quilters. If you belong to a guild and would like me to come and talk a little bit about my quilts and teach this one (or any other) in a workshop to your group, contact me for details. I'm always up for making Orange Peels!


14 comments:

Sharon Pack said...

I live in Tennessee and am not in a guild...but if I can get our local quilt shop to call on you ...do u think u could come to the middle Tennessee area?

Kathleen Tracy said...

Sharon - please e-mail me so I can answer you. You can find my e-mail under my profile.

belarmina said...

Que suerte todas esas amigas,
poder hacer curso contigo
¿cuando te veremos en Madrid- EspaƱa?
saludos

Scrappy quilter said...

They look so fun to make and what a great group.

quiltgrannie said...

Kathy, I had so much fun learning how to make these orange peels at the retreat. I had cut a lot of peels and backgrounds but never went any further with it. I got them out last week and I can't stop making them. LOL I have even started cutting new ones out because of coarse now I have so much more great civil war fabrics to use!! It just goes on and on.

Unknown said...

I took this class in Lansing, MI and loved it!!!

KarenInTheWoods said...

This looks like such a fun class! Wish you could come to Wisconsin and teach it!

Karen

Ann in PA said...

Kathy, The "Orange Peel" from Remembering Adelia is one of my favorite quilts. I believe that is the inspiration behind all the peels, melons, and pumpkin seed quilts that are popping up everywhere. I wish I lived closer so I could attend one of your classes. I would love to make another one! : )))

Jennifer M said...

I love the look of peels, even used as a quilting design. I have done just a couple small projects 1 or two in a block. I have yet to do a small quilt entirely of them but it's on my list! Thanks Kathy:)))

Jennifer

LuAnn said...

Thanks for posting all of the pics of everyone's Orange peels. It is so much fun to see everyone's choices of fabrics.

Judy said...

That looks like such fun, I wish that I could have been there!

Karen said...

I've always loved that Orange Peel Quilt of yours. I have all your books and enjoy looking through them over and over again. I wish you were close enough to come to Bellingham, Wa. to teach a class with us. It would be so fun to meet you and see your little quilts in person.

Christine said...

I made this quilt back when the book first came out. I love it. I have it prominently displayed at the entrance to my sewing room.

Unknown said...

Looks delicious. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Happy blogging!

Books and Manuals
www.gofastek.com

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails